Premiere
Photobucket

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tomato heaven.......




This year Ian and I planted a Black Russian tomato for the first time, and boy did it pay off! We ate gorgeous dark red juicy sweet tomatoes for months. I had so many I ended up making semi-dried tomatoes using my dehydrator, yummo they were delish! Eventually the frosts came. Even though the bush was still flowering and producing, we pulled it up. We had been told that hanging it upside down would allow the fruit to ripen. Well a couple of weeks later the fruit was still green. I harvested over three kilograms of green tomatoes from the bush and then had to find a recipe to make something out of them......So I made Green Tomato Pickles. We now have ten jars of yummy pickles, a stash that is quickly diminishing mind you lol..... We have been enjoying them with crusty bread, chunks of cheese and thick slices of ham.......
So yummy, doused in homemade olive oil and accompanied by a lovely glass of red.......


My sweetie with ONE bush of Black Russian tomatoes!



3 comments:

melissa said...

How lucky you were ..I dont seem to be able to grow these ...This year was the 3rd attempt and they are now off my list .... I enjoyed making relish from all my "reject" tomatoes this year ..nothing nicer ..Your bottles look great .!

Anonymous said...

Oh yum Monica
Have you thought about offering gift baskets?? Nice Mudgee red wine, olives, tomatoes etc etc
Let me know when you do!
Christina

seabreezequilts said...

Hi Mon I bet they tasted just like real tomatoes not like that rubbish you get in the shops. My FIL use to grow the best tomatoes now my BIL has taken over the mantel. Actually it is making my mouth water just thinking about them.