Premiere
Photobucket

Monday, January 14, 2008

Changin' chairs....

Ok this is what I have now, six 1920's high back oak chairs. They are nice, but way too curvaceous for my taste. I bought them about 12 years ago along with a great old wind-out table. The chairs were positively dangerous they were so rickety! So in my wisdom I had them restored. Over-restored. The guy who did them was highly recommended to me, however since then I have learnt a bit more about antiques. For instance he should have "filled" the timber before staining. And that bright yellow stain is just not authentic at all. Then he put a high gloss finish on them. Would have been much nicer with a warm wax finish. And let's just say the seats were a disaster! He actually measured new seats for them but when they were upholstered the guy upholstered the wrong side. Now anyone who knows old furniture should know that hand made stuff just ain't symmetrical. So none of the seats fit properly. Anyway I don't like the fabric now. So they have to go.
I had a chat to my local antiques lady and she suggested I go visit her "source". Bushy has a huge shed full of chairs and is willing to do a swap. He just happens to be in need of six oak chairs to match a table he has restored. So his shed is my playground.... I get to pick whichever chairs I want and he will do them up for me! I haven't actually been there, but Toddy went and took some pics..... no drooling please.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, goodness Mon, how would you find anything in there..lol...but i bet the man knows where everything is. Just amamzing! And good luck in your hunt..
luv Ann.xx

Anonymous said...

Mon, what a great stash! How will you ever decide? Good luck, I'll be looking forward to seeing what you choose.

Lisa